Wednesday, March 23, 2011

DIY Magazine Holder or Kitchen Wraps Organizer

I needed a container for my kitchen wraps (aluminum foil, plastic wrap) because on the shelf they kept getting knocked over every time I reached for the olive oil.  Or the sugar.  Or a coffee cup.  In other words, a lot.

So I decided to make an organizer, which as it turns out could also double as a magazine holder, only WAY cheaper than buying one.  And I got to choose paper that coordinated with my kitchen and is just cute.

All you need is an empty cereal box, paper of your choice (scrapbooking or wrapping paper,) and Mod Podge.
Cheap-o cereal box
I cut out a section on one side in case I want to use it as a magazine holder later.
 
Mod Podge not only acts as a glue to adhere the paper to the box, it strengthens the thin cardboard into a sturdier container.  Paint the Mod Podge on top of the paper also, to make it even stronger and as a protective layer if you're using it in the kitchen.




I linked to
http://fullofgreatideas.blogspot.com/2011/03/full-of-great-ideas-0-budget-party.html#comments

10 comments:

  1. Cute upcycle! My teen needs some magazine holders for all his SI Kids, and Lacrosse magazines. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can not wait to finish a box of cereal so I can do this! It looks amazing, and I would never have guessed that's what you used!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this idea for containing kitchen wraps. Thank you for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such an awesome idea!!! Never would have known that it was first a cereal box, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How awesome! I saved this so I can make one. I have too many magazines (right now I just stack them and hide them under my son's pack n play lol!!)

    I noticed you just started this blog...welcome to the blog world! lol.

    I am a big fan of blog templates (versus blog backgrounds) and have tons of fun with them. I change my Celebrations and Holidays blog every season/holiday. My favorite FREE ones are from Leelou Blogs. Here's a link:
    http://leelou-freelayouts.blogspot.com/search/label/All%20Templates

    (I have no connection with her I just love her stuff lol)

    Take Care.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have this project saved to try, and I'm going to pin it on pinterest.

    I just wrote about you on my blog, and awarded you The Versatile Blogger award.

    http://ellejs.blogspot.com/2011/04/id-like-to-thank-academy.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. So, I've totally done this, but I haven't covered it in pretty paper. I told Heath the other day I should send you a picture of my Rice Krispie foil container I made due to your inspiration! It is handy though and has freed up some valuable cabinet space for me. Now I just need to work on the cute/crafty part of the project. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful Idea. So simple and why I ask did I never think of it myself. Most likely because I do not eat cereal or have cereal boxes around was the answer I came up with. The other is that I have let my creativity slide so I will definitely have to work on that. lol.

    I am going to call my friends and family and gather up some cereal boxes now and make myself a couple of these and then a few extras as gifts for family and friends. Such a simple solution to an annoying problem. Thanks.

    Cheri of Halifax, NS

    ReplyDelete
  9. Being a "newly wed" ideas like this are SO helpful. Thank you for the inspiration, trying new things and for thinking "out of the box". (Pun intended - lol)

    ReplyDelete